How To Join The VFW
As yesterday’s defenders of freedom we want to welcome today’s military service members into our ranks to become part of our elite group. Our common bond is the battlefield, whether it is service in the Persian Gulf, Korea, Kosovo, the war on terrorism or peace-keeping expeditionary campaigns. Your courage and sacrifice have made a difference in preserving and defending world peace.
There are three qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our National Bylaws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member. They are as follows:
- Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.
- Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently serving.
- Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters. This can be proven by any of the following:
- An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
- Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
- Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days
This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or if a veteran’s DD-214 is not complete, they can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314.801.0800 to request more information.
More detailed information on VFW eligibility can be accessed here.
If you are not eligible for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars but you have a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, or spouse who would be eligible then you may apply for membership in the VFW Auxiliary. You can learn more at vfwauxiliary.org.
If you qualify to join ‘The Finest Veterans Service Organization on Planet Earth!’ , stop by any VFW and pick up an application and hand it to any VFW officer along with a payment. Your application will be processed and (if approved), a membership card will be sent to you. Thank you for your continued support and dedication.
National Dues Increase At the 2006 National Convention in Reno, Nevada, the National Organization raised Annual Dues, Life Membership Dues and Member-at-large Dues. Annual Dues are now $35.00. The National increases their portion of the dues effective January 1, 2007. That means the local will receive $1.50 per member. We receive $4.50 per member now. These are the funds that keep our VFW operation going. So, Please pay your annual dues!
Life Membership is another story. Last year we anticipated an increase in the dues but, the increase did not get the full 2/3 vote to pass. This year is a different story. The dues increased by an average of 78%!!!
As you can see, the increase is very substantial. We at the local levels don’t seem to have much input in these matters. So with that being said, the membership at VFW 3979 is extending an offer that is very hard to refuse!!
We will offer a $100.00 discount from Current Fees for Life Membership. We can work out payment plans. Contact the Quartermaster and get the paperwork started ASAP.
The National Dues also affected the VFW Auxiliary as well effective January 1, 2007. Not only are the dues going up, the age brackets have changed also.
VFW Membership Benefits
The Member Benefits department at the VFW National Headquarters has a new tool and have posted a number of advertisements and articles to assist you in finding member benefits online. It’s simple to use and best of all – It’s FREE. Just visit www.vfwbenefits.com and view some of the benefits you are entitled to as a member of ‘The Finest Veterans Service Organization on Planet Earth!’. Here are just some of the benefits offered:
- Major Medical Health Insurance – Affordable insurance for member and their families
- Medicare Part D – Various plans and options
- Home Deport Supply – catalog and online discounts
- Dell Computer Discount Program – Offers discounted computer systems to Posts, Departments, Members and Employees
- Vets Jobs – An Internet job board for transitioning military personnel, veterans and their family members
- Travel Services – Members can save $$ off the best available rates at Car Rentals, Motels and Veterans Travel Services